May 26, 2011

Our First Competition!

Goblin has had his first taste of competition! YAY! The event I was planning on taking him to, I decided against, as there was a better one. GoldFields Equestrian Club was running a clinic and dressage comp in the middle of May, and I felt this would be a better first event for him. No pony club kids hooning around ;) I decided to do a very basic dressage test on him, just a walk trot test, as I want to get the canter better before asking for it in an arena. And I wanted it to be a positive experience for both of us. Plus I thought he might be a bit distracted with other horses, and the atmosphere that a comp brings with it.
Sadly Goblin had all of 10 minutes to warm up and get used to everything. The good part was that it wasn't a very busy competition and he settled well! He did a nice dressage but lacked energy and was quite busy looking around at what was happening rather then focusing on the job, but I did expect that! It was a nice calm test and I was happy with how he behaved. We scored some nice comments from the judge, and even placed 4th. Goblins first ribbon!
We now have a lot to work on, more forward energy, stopping his shoulder from dropping in on one rein and improving the canter.
I didn't get any photos of the day, but I did take a pic of him with his first ribbon once we got home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.