Goblin, Goblin, Goblin! Some days I have to check which horse I am riding..5yr old Goblin or 10yr old Gamble! He is going so well! We have continued to train over show jumps, mostly at the trot, but a few at the canter which has been very fun! Goblin has a great left canter, soo smooth, just need to work on the right lead...! He picks up the correct lead most of the time which is very exciting. We also went into the rope dressage arena and he was really not that fazed at all. I didn't want to canter in there, as if the stearing failed, I'd have to set the arena up again for the comp the next day ;) But for a first attempt at seeing a dressage arena, he was perfect, we walked and trotted in the entry and all around and it was like he had been doing it for years.
Last week we had a set back, I found him in the morning with 2 swollen legs, back left, front right. With a clay poltice and some bute the swelling came down, but left a lump on his hind leg. I dont know what happened, but he had a few days off. He was not lame or sore at all, so that just added to the mystery. I started lightly working him again, and he was fine, then the swelling started to come up again around his hind fetlock. So back on bute and a few more days off. We are now bute free, and just taking it easy with a few days of walking and minimum trot work. See how the leg responds. The lump is getting smaller so thats awesome! Its a real hard lump, so I have no idea what it is..
I put hind boots on him for the first time today, thinking that might help with protecting the lump, and he was soo funny! He almost ended up sitting on his bum as he didn't want to walk with his hind legs! Then did a very akward walk like he was wearing float boots! Didn't take too long before he accepted that they were ok! The next few days, depending on the leg, we will gradually increase the amount of trot work we are doing before getting back to working on cantering and jumping.
Goblin had Kirsty massage him on Thursday, and you can really see him relaxing throughout the massage. He just loves it! I rode him in the afternoon and yes, he was feeling very good! Put in a little buck and was very forward in his work! I was planning his first competition in May, but we will wait and see how the leg goes first. Oh and there will be photo's coming soon...! Promise! Just need to get someone to stay home long enough to take some! :)
Last week we had a set back, I found him in the morning with 2 swollen legs, back left, front right. With a clay poltice and some bute the swelling came down, but left a lump on his hind leg. I dont know what happened, but he had a few days off. He was not lame or sore at all, so that just added to the mystery. I started lightly working him again, and he was fine, then the swelling started to come up again around his hind fetlock. So back on bute and a few more days off. We are now bute free, and just taking it easy with a few days of walking and minimum trot work. See how the leg responds. The lump is getting smaller so thats awesome! Its a real hard lump, so I have no idea what it is..
I put hind boots on him for the first time today, thinking that might help with protecting the lump, and he was soo funny! He almost ended up sitting on his bum as he didn't want to walk with his hind legs! Then did a very akward walk like he was wearing float boots! Didn't take too long before he accepted that they were ok! The next few days, depending on the leg, we will gradually increase the amount of trot work we are doing before getting back to working on cantering and jumping.
Goblin had Kirsty massage him on Thursday, and you can really see him relaxing throughout the massage. He just loves it! I rode him in the afternoon and yes, he was feeling very good! Put in a little buck and was very forward in his work! I was planning his first competition in May, but we will wait and see how the leg goes first. Oh and there will be photo's coming soon...! Promise! Just need to get someone to stay home long enough to take some! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.