In Year 12, while other people were busy studying and stressing about exams, I bought my first horse! Woody- a purebred Quarter Horse, bay gelding, 9yr old, 15.3hh. What a spunk! I was so proud and excited and could wait to get him home and show him off at Pony club! So I rode him every day and he was going great. Took him to PC, a combined rally with another local club and boy, did we put on a show! Rearing and pig rooting and breaking 2 bridles in 1 day. Suddenly I wasn't so proud! For the next 12 months he really tested my riding, and patients - 1hr to get on the float - but I stuck with him when many people told me to take him back or sell him. I had waited so long for this horse and he wasn't going to beat me. He had attitude, but I had determination! And I won! He went from being an arrogant, bucking horse, to a beautiful allrounder, who needed spurs to get him going, and an amazing attitude! It was very satisfying when people came up and asked if this was the same horse that they had seen 12 months ago, and I could say YES! He took me from grade 4 PC to grade 3, with 1 grade 2 start, - that wasn't very successful. After having him for 3yrs, I started to feel that he wasn't right. He kept tripping and started refusing jumps. It was when EI was around so instead of taking him to Goulbourn Valley Equine Hospital, 1hr away, I took him to Canberra - 6hrs away! After x raying his hocks and knees, we found he had several bone spurs in his knee, and both hocks were almost completly fused. I was gutted. This horse should have been showing lamness signs and in a great deal of pain, yet he passed the inital lamness examination and still worked and tried his heart out for me. It was a long 6hr trip home, and on my birthday.
He is now retired in my paddock, with daily doses of glucosamine and boosters of pentosan when he needs it. With the occational bareback ride or river ride, he seems quite happy. I could never part with this guy, and I dont think my family would let me. We have all become very fond of Woody.
So then the hunt began for my next horse!
I can be a bit of a nerd and I like to look at who has entered what events around the country and then follow the results. I wanted a good horse, one that could take me up the jumping grades without the disapointment of it breaking down at a young age like Woody. I wanted a purpose bred event horse. From the results that I had been following, ESB horses kept popping up. Good results, a lot of them, and consistant in all grades. After researching the website and numerous emails to Vanessa we went for a visit. The first thing that struck me when seeing the youngsters, was how inquisitive and gentle they were. These big young horses, so friendly and happy and left to grow! Another box ticked! I was in love! I wasn't quite ready to take on a young horse, but we left there with a lot of information and I knew I wanted an ESB horse. Horsedeals came out that week and there happened to be a nice grey ESB for sale. I rang up and we headed down south the following weekend for a ride. What a stunning individuial! And the whiteness of his tail got me in! After having a ride I knew I had to have him! So we bought him. The following weekend we went back down and picked up ESB Irish Gamble! My second horse!
I have had Gamble since 2008 and we have come so far! He is an amazing jumper, competitive in EFA D grade, eventing prelim- almost ready for Pre Novice, and his dressage has improved out of site. We now place at straight EFA dressage days, and I have Leonie Tainsh (Quick), my instructor, to thank for that. Gamble is such an amazing horse, and has taught me a lot. We have travelled all around Victoria and had much success, winning a few events and placing in a lot. And the best is yet to come from this man! He has the talent, attitude and trainability to go a long way. I feel that his talent lies in show jumping, just an amazing clean jumper. Will jump anything in the Sj ring, just not as brave on x country! An amazing horse, bursting with personality!
Woody above and Gamble below



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.