On the 14th of November, I set off to pick up Goblin. I was nervous and excited at the same time! Sadly I didn't get to see Vanessa, as she was in Adelaide watching Eddy run his first 4*. Goblin was waiting for me in a stable and he was quite relaxed, curious, but happy. He loaded onto the float well and travelled perfectly home. For the first week he stayed in a friend's yard, while my paddock fence was being repaired - meant to have been finished a week prior to me getting Goblin...
It was very handy as the yard was smallish so we could get used to each other and start bonding. After the first week, he was moved to my paddock and met Woody. They got on really well, Woody is the boss, but Goblin didn't protest. Since then, we have only been going forwards! A lot of ground work and lunging for teh first few days, and then I got on. Expecting Goblin to take a few steps forward, I got dad to gently hold him while I got on. Not a step was taken! It was like I was getting on a school master! We walked and had a small trot and then I got off. I was very impressed and amazed! The rides continued like this, gradually improving the steering and shape of the circles. Even the planes flying into land at the airport which is directly behind the paddock, didn't worry him! - and they are not exactly quiet!
I had a few lessons with Leonie on him before taking him to my chiro for a check up. He found a few problems, that are treatable, and has since had another visit, which he is showing great improvment from already. Plently of pole work to build up his topline and bum and we will be in business to start jumping :)
He is a gem of a horse, every time I drive up he comes over to say hi. And I am starting to get a soft neigh on arrival..and not only at meal time!
I am very excited about the future of Goblin, he can definatly go a long way! Such a charming individual!
Goblin's first week with me

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.